Thursday, December 27, 2007

T.V.

As I sit here drinking my morning tea, trying to wake up, my son is watching T.V. I remember when he was first born, I thought that we would not let him watch TV too much. Then we started letting him watch Baby Einstein videos for a few minutes at a time, which turned into watching whichever 30 minute kids show that was on, but now it's turned into more of a 30-60 minute block of time in front of the TV, especially in the mornings when I'm trying to wake myself up and also get our dogs fed.

I feel bad that he's watching so much TV at this young of an age, but it also keeps him quiet and occupied like nothing else will. Being such a TV junkie myself, I should have expected this, but I do feel a little bad that TV is already a big part of his life this early on. One thing I do like about his TV watching is that Disney channel and Noggin both don't show commercials on their morning shows, so at least he's not going to be inundated with advertisements in addition to the cartoons he likes.

It's nice that we have a DVR so we can tape shows that he likes and put them on any time of the day when he is fussy, which luckily isn't too often. We also make sure that he gets plenty of time reading books and playing outdoors as well. I'm happy to say that I think that he likes to be outside better than anything else at this point, and his books do get picked up a lot when he's playing.

No matter how much or how little TV he watches, I'm going to feel bad. I suppose the fact that this bothers me at all means that we won't let him grow up being a complete TV junkie. Being a first time parent, I guess that is a normal worry (too much TV), but I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts - feel free to drop me a comment if you have any insight or thoughts on the matter.

Cheers!