Monday, April 14, 2008

Ahhh... Relaxation

My wife and I are taking a much needed vacation before the new baby gets here in July, and I'm loving it. Even though I got up at 6:00 AM this morning, I still feel more rested than i normally do when waking up at 8:00 with the boy. Admittedly, we changed time zones on this trip, but 6:00 here is the same as 8:00 back home.

I think the fact that we have absolutely nothing planned for today, other than a massage at around 1:00, is what is refreshing me. And the fact that I wasn't being asked to turn on the TV to catch up on the latest goings-on of Dora or the Wiggles. I actually watched the NEWS this morning. And nobody was grabbing the remote out of my hand and looking pleadingly at me for a channel change to something in the channel range of Noggin and the Disney channel.

While I do miss the boy, I'm liking the fact that my wife and I get a couple of days of 'adult time' - adult time not being a strictly sexual connotation (although we're getting some of that in too ;), but rather one of being able to lounge around after getting up in the morning and read, watch TV and then mosey down to a restaurant to get breakfast. And not having to chase a screaming banshee through the restaurant once the aforementioned banshee gets bored with his food (which is usually about five minutes into any meal).

Right now, it's not even noon, and I'm realizing how bad my wife and I are at doing nothing. She's already gone to sleep, and I'm already on the computer, but boy is it NICE! I'll take bored over frazzled for a couple of days. And heck, if I get bored, I'll just go drink myself into a nap by the pool. Problems I can live with, indeed.