Friday, March 21, 2008

Learn about model rockets from NASA!


I'm thinking about trying out model rockets when my son is a couple of years older. I remember building and launching one during a summer science program at a university near my hometown. It was definitely a fun experience that I'd like to try, and I remember there being a pretty cool science lesson involved during the project as well.

I think things like this are a great way to impart a love or interest in science - they are a valuable teaching tool because they can offer a hands-on, real world approach to learning, and even if your young one doesn't learn anything, launching the rocket is pretty darn cool.

I must confess that i probably don't remember much science from that particular project, but one of my more vivid memories of the university event was launching the rocket. for that alone, it was well worth it.

Head over to NASA's site on rockets to learn more about the science behind model rockets.