Thursday, January 17, 2008

Fatherhood's unexpected effects

Is it just me, or does anyone else who is a new dad occasionally feel like they are a kid again? I haven't looked at action figures or Legos or other toys and youthful activities like camping, rocketry, astronomy, etc. quite like I have in the past year.

Most of it is due to the excitement I'm feeling about introducing these things to my son when he's old enough to enjoy them. But another part of it is that these things are still pretty damn cool to look at and think about, even at my age. I hope that I'm not projecting my interests on my son, but since he's only one year old, I don't need to worry about being too overbearing about it just yet. And I think I will do fine respecting his feelings if he's not interested in some of the things that I was interested in as a child.

Knowing my luck, however, he'll only be interested in the one thing that I never got into - Sports. God help me if he gets into that, because I don't know much about them other than having watched a few Dallas Cowboy's games on TV. I suppose it would be fun to learn the finer points of sports together, though.