Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Zilker Zephyr

Today my wife and I took the boy to Zilker Park to ride the Zilker Zephyr, the small train they have at the park. It looked like the train was full when we got there and were dismayed, thinking that we'd have to wait another hour to catch the next one. However, a nice family moved around when my wife asked if there was any way to make space, and we got on a few minutes before it left. My son had a bit of a cold earlier this weekend, so he was still a little out if it - I hoped he wouldn't freak out in the middle of the trip and start fussing, but he did great and had a lot of fun by the end of the ride.

I had always heard about the train and Barton springs, but had not been there since I was very young, and really don't remember that visit. The train ride was fairly inexpensive (less then 3 bucks per adult and less than 2 per kid, with infants under 1 year ride free), and the scenery was beautiful. I didn't realize that this part of the Downtown/S. Austin area was that hilly, and the train offered up some very nice panoramic views of Barton Springs. Today was wonderful weather for a ride, although it did get a little chilly when the train was near the water, so the jackets we brought didn't go to waste.

I would recommend checking the train out if you're ever in the area. It's a nice way to keep the little one(s) occupied for 20-30 minutes while getting to take in some nice scenery while you're sitting down (something that doesn't happen too often if you have kids, I'm finding out).

Here is a link to info about the Zilker Zephyr: http://austin.about.com/cs/tours/l/blvt_z_zephyr.htm