Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm starting to get the itch...


The new year has rolled around, and although it's gotten colder (but not really cold here, since I live in Central TX), I'm anxious to get outdoors enjoy being away from my computer, TV, etc. I'm a big fan of camping, and while my son is still too young to appreciate it, I'm looking forward to taking him in the next couple of years.

I ran across this site today while surfing, and it looks like a nice resource guide. Mind you, I probably don't need it, because I'm an Eagle Scout (Can you just hear me patting myself on the back? :), but for the uninitiated, there are some good tips to consider before embarking on a camping trip and great resources for finding places to go. OK, so I can definitely use the resources pages. As long as I've lived in Austin, I seem to go back to the same places to camp, but a new campsite would be a lot of fun to try out this year.

If you've never been camping, I highly recommend it, especially if you have children. Some of my fondest memories are of camping trips with my parents, uncles, cousins, etc. I'm also glad that I was involved in Boy Scouts, because that got me plenty of opportunities for doing outdoor activities. Mmm - I can almost taste the S'Mores now.....